Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Alabama Denny's

Hi guys! I've missed you! Was telling a friend of mine a pretty amusing story about another friend of mine, who has absolutely no sense, last night. She reccommended that I write about it in the good ol' blog and so... here am I!
I should really start this off with a disclaimer. You know how different states have friendly state rivalries going on? Well in Georgia, we have this thing with Alabamans... there are tons of jokes claiming that most of the people in Alabama are... what's the word I'm searching for... unitelligent? Yeah... we'll go with that word. Anyway, we ALL know that isn't true, as one of the smartest people I know and someone I dearly love(Amber Benson) came out of Alabama. Also, my acting troupe did a lot of play productions with the Birmingham Community Theater, and I have to say, they had some extremely talented actors there. So, I seriously mean no harm or offense to anyone reading this. It was just a funny thing that happened. So, let's get this party started!
It was circa the year 2000 and my boyfriend, along with two other couples, and I were going to the state of Alabama to see a play that our troupe would soon be performing. I'm a tad fuzzy on which play it was. I had been coming out of a pot induced stupor when we arrived, but I have a good recollection of the events that transpired. Anyway! In tow, I had brought along a friend of mine that had just been dumped by her boyfriend and wanted to get away for a few days, so I had sorrowfully agreed to letting her come along with us as long as she paid for herself a hotel room, which she was fine with, so no hate comments! So this girl, we'll call her Megan to protect her identity, isn't the brightest crayon in the Crayola box. I love her dearly, but she isn't. She'll even tell you that, so don't think I'm all big, bad, and mean! Some of the drugs we used to do, messed with her brain a bit. I don't say that lightly in the least because it could have just as well had happened to me. Back to the story! We're driving down the road when Brandon, my boyfriend, announces that he's hungry. The rest of us were all, "Yeah, we could stand to eat." So he's pulls into the first restaurant serving breakfast we could find, which happened to be a Denny's, next to a big F350 truck that had a bumper sticker on it saying, "Duct Tape. Alabama chrome." . We were in a little town in Alabama called Prescott... you blink and you miss it, but by gosh they had their Denny's and it was PACKED OUT!
We settled down into a six person booth in the far right hand corner of the restaurant, with one of the guys pulling a chair over to the head of the table and taking a seat. We were sitting calmly, just talking about the upcoming play we were going to see, wondering if our upcoming production of the same one would be as good as theirs, as we ate breakfast. I don't know if it was the brutal blow of everyone being coupled up with their honeys except for her, or if the urge had just struck her suddenly, but Megan shoots up from the table and announces that she has to go to the bathroom. We all said that was cool, and she took off for the unisex restroom. The restroom that was located in the far LEFT HAND corner of the restaurant. She takes off, and we just happened to glance over at her... you're in a different state, with people around you don't know... you have to keep a check on your peeps. We had a clear view of the bathroom door from where we were sitting. My friends, Layla, Jenny, and I, us being the only other girls there besides Megan, and you can NEVER count on guy to notice anything, notice that she's standing in front of the bathroom door, looking rather confused. We were discussing whether or not to go see what was going on when Megan's voice rings out, loud and clear, reaching our ears on the other side of the restaurant saying, "You know you're in Alabama when the lock is on the outside of the bathroom door!" The door, for some reason, ONLY had lock on the OUTSIDE of the door. Denny's, which had been filled with a low rumble of pleasant conversation from the Alabama inhabitants, fell completely silent. It was in that silence that Layla's boyfriend, Cole, stands up at the table, cups his hands around his mouth and calls back, "It's 'cause they have to go in pairs in Alabama! One to use the bathroom and the other one to spend their time figuring out how to lock the door!" Oh, had I only been able to crawl under the table. We got some LOOKS! I mean, if shotguns had been allowed in that restaurant, we wouldn't have stood a chance!
With a light blush tinting our cheeks, Layla and I climbed over the guys in the booth, Layla desperate to get away from Cole at that moment in time, and headed to the bathroom to stand guard over Megan's door... just to make sure she wasn't assasinated for insulting Alabama WHILE WE WERE IN ALABAMA! We waited for a bit outside of the door and heard the sound of the toilet flushing, followed quickly by a hysterical giggle. Layla looks at me and whispers, "That last drag she took off of that joint must have finally hit her." I bit back a giggle, and knocked softly on the door, calling out, "Are you okay in there?"
She opened the door, her face the color of a ripe Gala apple and says, "You won't believe me if you don't see it for yourselves." Then she burst into even louder gales of laughter again. Well, me being... well, ME, I'm kinda skittish when someone comes out of the bathroom and says, "You won't believe me if you don't see it." I shot Layla a look, mostly filled with wariness, then I stepped cautiously into the bathroom, Layla stepping in behind me. I looked around the room and didn't see anything funny. Megan, noticing we weren't laughing like she'd been doing, stepped into the room and pointed. "Look CLOSE," she said, her index finger pointing to the porcelain throne. I got frustrated because I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. I turned my head and saw Brandon and the other guys paying for our bills, and put my right index finger up, barely away from my temple and swirled it around, to show him that Megan was nuts. Then, I heard Layla start to giggle, and I snapped my head back around. Before I knew it, she was in a full fledged laughing fit. In between gasps she tells me, "Look at the handle! Alabama chrome!"
My eyes searched until they fell on the handle, and then I started laughing too, harder than the other two girls were. It seems, someone had broken the handle in half, and another poor soul had taken their time to fashion the other half of the handle out of pure, 100% DUCT TAPE! Oh it was hillarious!
I'm laughing so hard tears are streaming down my face as I'm retelling this incident! Maybe it was a moment where you had to be there; I'm not sure. However, I hope this at least got a smile out of you guys! I look forward to hearing some comments! Also, I want to send a sincere thank you to the good people of Prescott, Alabama, and the workers of the Denny's in that area. Without you, this blog entry wouldn't have been possible! Until next time guys! :o)

4 comments:

  1. Great story! The imagery made for hysterical mental pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Oh my hecK! Awesome! and kudos on the fruit usage there :-D

    ...and now that I'm aware of the Alabama Chrome (not to be confused with Google Chrome, I'm sure), I'm glad I'm not from Alabama...or my brothers toilet seat would now be the color of Alabama Chrome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Valid point, Watson! Valid point! :o)

    ReplyDelete